As I come to the end of Chain Reaction by
Simone Elkeles, I noticed that many perspectives are missing from this book. Even
though that there are many missing perspectives, the most important one was
Luis’ mother because she plays a big role in this book. I wonder what she
thought when Luis got hurt and started falling in love with a girl that was
different from him. From where I see it, Luis’ mother shows a lot of care, but
does she really care about things.
I think the author excluded Luis’ mom because she wanted to add some mystery to the book or some second-guessing. If the book was from Luis’ mom perspective there would not be as much tension. We would have not known how Luis got hurt or how he started to fall in love with a different girl. There would also be a difference of how the story is being seen from. If Luis’ mom was a perspective that was seen in the book we would know what she was thinking about and why.
With Luis’ mom perspective missing, Luis and Nikki’s perspectives come out more. If Luis’ mom’s perspective was there, Nikki and Luis’ perspectives would be shown less and the whole story can be different. All the archetypes would be changed into different people. If Luis and Nikki’s perspectives were the ones missing there would be a gap in the book. I think it would be less exciting without the perspectives of Luis and Nikki. Though the book can be exciting if all the perspectives to be shown.
While reading Chain Reaction I learned that changing one perspective can change a whole book. The theme of the book might even change if the perspective seen is changed. I think that if Luis and Nikki’s perspectives were missing the story might change all together. Also if Luis’ mom perspective was seen the book might have been altered into a different story.
I totally agree with you although I have never read that book. It seems very interesting and it DOES seem like the whole book has changed because that perspective is missing. Like you said, if that perspective was included then the book would probably be REALLY boring...
ReplyDeleteIt seems like a great book. Your blog post was very thoughtful and deep. Awesome job!!!
-Liv :)
Thank You!
Delete