Friday, May 18, 2012

Blog Post #27: Summer Boys

As I come to an end of Summer Boys by Hailey Abbott, I noticed that romance cannot always be the way you want it to be. Sometimes you want a person to be with forever and sometimes you just want a fling. People would have different thoughts on what romance is, like one person might think it is just getting together with someone and another might think it is being with a person that they really like. This makes me think that Jamie, Ella, and Beth are really different people that have a different point of view on romance.

According to the story, Jamie wants a guy to be with for a really long time instead of just having a fling like Ella. Beth though wants to have a relationship, but not with a guy she does not know. Ella just wants to go out with a guy her sister is dating as a fling. What exactly is romance? There are all kinds of romance, but which kind is romance. I think that each personality has a different thought about romance.  Romance can be a hard thing to figure out for different people because each person would have a different point of view of things.

Jamie wants be with a guy forever and wants a one true love. Beth wants to be with a guy she already knows, but never knew she actually liked him and Ella wants to be with a guy that is appealing to her. I noticed that Jamie and Beth wanted a real solid relationship with a guy, but Ella just wanted the guy because she liked him. Does a person perspective on life impact their perspective of romance? I think that maybe if a person has a different perspective of their life then their perspective of romance can change. Toward the end of the book Ella’s perspective of life changed and also she started to think that she should find a guy to just be with.

In conclusion, one’s perspective of life can change a person’s perspective of romance. I wonder if similar people would have the same point of view of romance as each other. I think that every person has a different personality and thinks differently than others. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, nice blog post. You really dissected the relationships in this book, and you dug deep into each relationship and their feelings. I also really like that you asked philosophy questions with the relationships. Some examples are what exactly is romance? That is good so you can analyze the relationships better. Good job Jackie!

    ReplyDelete